This summer is the second year of implementation for the City’s Sustainable Infrastructure Plan, which invests in Burlington’s sidewalks, streets and water mains.
So far during this construction season DPW has repaved over 3 miles of roads, 1.2 miles of sidewalks and upgraded water mains on Maple and Upper Pine Streets. Meanwhile, a number of projects continue across Burlington.
Water main upgrades on Maple (between Battery & St. Paul) and Pine (between Main and Maple) have been completed. August will see DPW laying down a new layer of asphalt on Maple Street. During work, traffic between Battery and St. Paul will be eastbound only.
Great Streets improvements will begin in September. on St. Paul Street. These upgrades to sidewalks and roadways will see some disruptions to traffic and temporary lost of spaces. There will also be over 50 publicly accessible spaces at the recently completed 194 St. Paul building, which will help mitigate parking loss on St. Paul during construction.
DPW’s water team is working to finish repairs to two water mains along Pine Street between Kilburn and Lakeside Avenue. This will lead to a shift of the two lanes of traffic from the west side of the road to the east. For approximately one week – during the week of July 30 – traffic will drive over the dirt section.
OTHER PROJECTS UNDERWAY
- Birch Ct and Cayuga Ave: Water main upgrades and sewer main work beginning this week followed by paving.
- Church St (between Adams and Maple): We will begin this water main replacement project as early as August 1.
- Colchester Ave: The water main upgrade continues from Barrett to Nash through August. Paving will likely now begin in early September, from Barrett to East Ave.
- College Street: Paving work will take place in early August.
- Ethan Allen Parkway (between North Ave and Lopes): The water main replacement is on pace to finish in early August. The line has passed significant milestones, including pressure testing.
- Latham Ct: A water main upgrade has started on this street and may last through August.
- Maple St: Water main relining between North Prospect and South Willard has started and may last through August.
For additional information on the DPW work across Burlington, check out DPW’s Construction Portal. For information on our water projects, please visit burlingtonvt.gov/dpw/
Park Burlington will continue to provide updates on this and other construction projects taking place in Burlington. To stay in the know, “Like” us on Facebook and “Follow” us on Twitter.