One of Burlington’s biggest parties returns March 10th with 2018 Magic Hat Mardi Gras.
For over 20 years the parade has been an unofficial sign that spring is on the way, while serving as a fun day out for people of all ages. Once again, the event will feature huge crowds, elaborate floats and lots of beads. The event also serves to raise money for the Vermont Foodbank.
As with any parade in downtown Burlington, Mardi Gras will mean some street closures and temporary loss of parking spaces in the southern part of downtown.
This process will begin at noon, with King Street between lower Church Street and South Winooski Ave., being closed to allow for parade staging. The parade begins at 2:30pm with closures along the parade route including:
- Main Street all the way from South Winooski Ave. to Battery Street
- Lake Street from Battery to College
- South Winooski Avenue between King and College
- Lower Church Street between King and Main
- St Paul Street between King and Main
- Pine Street between College and King
- South Champlain Street between College and King
- Battery Street between College and King
To accommodate the large crowd and large floats, a parking ban will also be in effect starting at 7:00am through 4:30pm on the following Streets:
- Main Street between Battery and South Winooski
- Lake Street between Battery and College
- Lower Church between Main and King
- South Winooski between King and Main
After the event, Burlington police will quickly work to re-open streets.
Despite the closures, ample parking can found throughout downtown Burlington. All City parking garages will remain open, featuring 2 hour free parking. Consult our interactive parking map to see parking locations throughout the downtown. Due to street closures, it is not recommended that you use the City lot at the corner of Main and South Winooski Avenue.