At the May 16th Public Works Commission meeting, the Department of Public Works sought and was granted approval to install pay kiosks to manage the 94 public parking spaces. Along with the Burlington Business Association, we engaged nearby stakeholders about these plans and recently installed signage and kiosks to begin the management of this resource.
Built as part of the City’s Waterfront North revitalization efforts, the Lake Street Extension Lot serves attractions like the recently redeveloped bike path, the Lake Champlain Community Sailing Center and the Skate Park. Details of the parking policies for the Lake Street extension parking lot include:
- Enforcement hours: 9AM-6PM, Monday-Saturday
- Seasonal rates apply:
- May 1st – October 31st: $1/hour for a maximum of 3 hours
- November 1st – April 30th: $0.40/hour for up to ten hours
- Parkmobile accepted — now with reduced rates and no re-up fee
- Pay by Plate (not required to put receipt on dash)
- Payment can be made as early as 5AM, and will not begin counting down until 9AM.
- Accepts coins (nickels, dimes, quarters and dollar coins) and credit cards (Master Card, Visa, American Express, Discover)
- Parking is free on City observed holidays.
The main goal of these new parking enforcement measures is to ensure turnover, providing fair access to parking on the waterfront. Burlington’s Downtown Parking & Transportation Management Plan calls for the City to manage to an 85% occupancy to meet this goal. In line with this, enforcement hours were recently reduced for all on street meters in the city by starting enforcement at 9AM instead of 8am, evening enforcement in the downtown core was reduced from 10PM to 9PM and we converted all 15 minute meters to 30 minute meters in the downtown core. Additionally, most of the on-street meters on Lake Street now have seasonal rates, which will match the Lake Street Lot’s rates of $1/HR in the peak season and $0.40/HR in the off-season.
To learn more about all of the parking options in Burlington, view our interactive map!