The Burlington Police Department regulates parking in order to provide sufficient spaces where demand is greatest. Their goal is to provide access to commercial areas for visitors and residents alike and affordable alternatives for those who work there. Click on the links below to learn more:
Fines and Towing
|Parking Ban or Street Closed to Parking||$125.00|
|All other Prohibited Parking Violations||$75.00|
See the Burlington Police Department webpage for more details.
How To Pay Your Parking Ticket in Burlington
BPD Parking Enforcement accepts Checks (payable to the City of Burlington), VISA, MasterCard or Discover credit cards.
Payment (with ticket) can be mailed to BPD at:
Burlington Police Dept
Attn: Parking Tickets
1 North Avenue
Burlington, VT 05401
…or dropped off in person to the same address Mon.-Fri. 8am to 4:15pm, or in the after hours mail slot in the Admin entrance vestibule. To pay over the phone, please call the Parking Enforcement Office at (802) 540-2380. If you have any questions, please call Parking Enforcement Manager John King at (802) 540-2381
Contesting a Ticket
The owner or operator of a vehicle receiving a parking ticket is required to either pay the waiver fee or to formally contest the ticket WITHIN 30 DAYS of the offense. Formal contest is initiated by submitting WRITTEN notice to the office of the City Attorney, Room 11, City Hall, Church Street, Burlington, Vermont 05401, stating the reasons for contesting the ticket. You must include the ticket and any towing receipts as well as any other supporting documents. You will receive a written response from the City Attorney’s office. If you are not satisfied with that response, the registered OWNER of the vehicle must arrange a court hearing on the alleged violation by contacting the Parking Enforcement Office immediately thereafter.
If you’ve paid for your meter via Parkmobile and have documentation showing there is no discrepancy between the ticket and payment receipt (i.e, the license plate number of the ticketed vehicle and the license plate number on the payment receipt are the same), please call BPD at (802) 540-2185 to review your ticket. For more information please visit the Burlington Police Department’s webpage.
Winter Parking & Snow Ban Information:
Burlington maintains a warning system of yellow lights mounted on utility poles throughout the city. These lights are activated when a snow parking ban is declared. Upon declaring a ban, all media is notified, City Parking Ban lights are turned on, and a tape recording is activated.
Call 658-SNOW for tape recorded information.
If a parking ban is declared:
- It will be declared by 3pm to be effective that evening.
- The ban is in effect from 12am-6am in the downtown core, and 10pm-7am outside the downtown core.
- You may not park on any City streets or parking lots during the ban.
- Parking is available in all City Garages:
- Marketplace Garage (147 Cherry St)
- Lakeview Garage (41 Cherry St)
- College Street Garage (60 College St)
- Please park on LOWER DECKS ONLY. Drivers are prohibited from parking on the roof of garages during a parking ban.
- You must remove your car by 8am or you will be charged a full day’s rate. A full day at Marketplace Garage is $10, a full day at Lakeview or College Street Garages is $8.
- View all parking in BTV here.
- Any vehicles left on City streets or parking lots will be issued a $125 ticket and towed to another location.
- Vehicles found with more than $49.00 in outstanding fines or previous winter tow tickets will be towed to a designated garage until payment is made.